Let's create a basic room in Hammer. This tutorial covers creating brushes in Left 4 Dead editor.
L4D Mapping: Geometry Part 1 - Interface Overview Video Tutorial
L4D Mapping: Geometry Part 2 - Basic Room Creation Video Tutorial
L4D Mapping: Geometry Part 3 - Two Rooms and a Hallway Video Tutorial
1. File-->New and Save As
2. In the Texture Browser, filter and select developer textures. It will make it simpler for you to focus on blocking in your maps and keeping everything to scale.
3. Pay attention to grid size and snapping. Work with 16 unit grid to begin with when you are blocking in your levels.
Use [ ] keys to size up/down between the grid spacing.
4. Become familiar with the Block Tool. It is the main tool you will use to create geometry for your level.
Don't forget, you are not bounded by the basic block. You are able to create various geometric shapes.
5. Viewport Navigation:
Space Bar + LMB: Pan around the 2D viewport
Shift + Z: Maximize the window
Mouse Wheel: Zooms In/Out
Z: 3d viewport Wod View, move around by using A S W D keys and Mouse Look
[ ] Grid spacing up/down
Select Item and Shift+Drag: Duplicate
6. 3D viewport allows to have many shading options:
7. Insert Scale Model by going to Entity tool and selecting info_survivor_position:
8. When building your world, do not have intersection brushes.
9. Do not have any gaps into the void of the blackness. Your world, room has to be completely blocked off from the void.
You will have leaks if you don't. Leaks are basically errors.
10. Selecting the brushes and then Shift+Drag will duplicate it.
11. Selecting a brush, then clicking on it again, will allow you to rotate it.
All content on this website is copyrighted ©2008-2024 World of Level Design LLC. All rights reserved.
Duplication and distribution is illegal and strictly prohibited.
World of Level Design LLC is an independent company. World of Level Design website, its tutorials and products are not endorsed, sponsored or approved by any mentioned companies on this website in any way. All content is based on my own personal experimentation, experience and opinion. World of Level Design™ and 11 Day Level Design™ are trademarks of AlexG.
Template powered by w3.css